For 6 people
20-25 minutes cooking time
3 beaten eggs
175g unsalted butter (softened)
175g caster sugar
½ tsp baking powder
3 tbsp cocoa powder
150g self-raising flour
Butter for greasing
For the topping
100g milk chocolate
100g plain chocolate
200ml double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4/350°F. Grease the 10 inch tin and line the edges with butter. Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until they are light and fluffy and gradually beat in the egg.
- Then sieve the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into a bowl and then fold them into the creamed mixture.
- Put the mixture into the tin and bake for 20 minutes. Check the cake to see if it is cooked, if not then cook for a little longer.
- Once cooked, leave to cool slightly then turn out onto a baking tray.
- Break the milk and plain chocolate into a bowl and melt them over a pan of simmering water.
- Once done remove from the heat and leave to cool for 5 minutes. Add the double cream and stir to thicken. Leave for a few minutes.
- Make sure the cake is completely cool before putting on the topping. Place all of the topping on the cake top and sides.